HEBRON POLICE DEPARTMENT
12007 Prairie Avenue
Hebron, IL. 60034
Chief of Police
Welcome to the July 4th holiday, Hebron residents are reminded of the town’s ordinance regarding fireworks usage within town limits. Due to recent concerns this ordinance will be strictly enforced by the Hebron Police Department without exception.
8-4-7 FIREWORKS 2003-04-713, Amended, 2006-07-776 A. Sale of Fireworks: No person shall sell or offer for sale any fireworks, including aerial or ground displays and as defined in
Section 1 of the Fireworks Use Act (425 ILCS 35/1), in the Village. B. Use, Explosion of Fireworks: No person shall use or explode any fireworks, including aerial or ground displays, in the Village without a permit issued by the Village Board. The Village Board may issue a permit for the public display of fireworks only after it has determined that the site for said display is safe and appropriate and only under such conditions as it may impose under the provisions of
Section 2 of the Fireworks Use Act (425 ILCS 35/2) (“Act”), and those conditions contained herein, and other conditions deemed necessary or desirable by the Village Board for the safety and welfare of the public C. Insurance: The permit applicant shall be required to provide proof of liability insurance in a sum of not less than $3,000,000 conditioned on compliance with the provisions of this Section. The insurance shall be issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in the State of Illinois. D. Conditions: In order to operate a fireworks display a permit applicant must: Title 8, Chapter 4, Page 9 12/16/19 1. Attend training conducted at a fire department/district or similar authorized agency. 2. Apply for a site inspection by the Hebron-Alden-Greenwood Fire Protection District. 3. Only approved consumer fireworks from a registered consumer fireworks distributor-retailer shall be used in a fireworks display. 4. Copies of all supporting documentation demonstrating compliance with the Act shall be submitted to the Village with the permit application. E. Penalty: Any person, firm or corporation shall be fined not less than $100 for each offense and be responsible for the Village’s cost of prosecution. Each day that a violation continues shall be considered a separate offense. Restitution by the violator shall also be made to any property damaged or destroyed or person injured.
Fireworks Safety Tips
• Never let children handle, play with or light any fireworks.
• Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
• Always purchase your fireworks from reliable, licensed fireworks dealers.
• Use in a clear, open area. Keep audience a safe distance away from the shooting site.
• Safety glasses are recommended for those individuals lighting the fireworks or those in close proximity to the fireworks.
• Do not alter any fireworks device or make your own fireworks.
• Light only one firework at a time.
• Never attempt to re-light, alter or fix any "dud" firework item.
• Have a fire extinguisher, water supply, hose or bucket of water nearby.
• Be cautious of lighting any fireworks during strong wind conditions and light fireworks with prevailing wind blowing away from spectators.
• Do not use alcohol with fireworks.
• Never aim, point or throw fireworks at another person.
• Use fireworks outdoors, never indoors.
Chief of Police